Thursday, October 9, 2014

Alexandra Nader is the Cook in Wonderland!

My first show at Wheelock was "Beauty and the Beast" back in 2007. I remember vividly the first day of rehearsal. We went around the table and introduced ourselves and our characters. I was playing a Spoon. At the end of the table sat a beautiful African American woman named Angela Williams, she was the last to stand and say, "Hi everyone, I'm playing the role of 'Belle'". My eyes widened. I had never seen such unconventional casting. I had always dreamed of playing parts like 'Belle' but as a biracial child myself, I just never thought it was done.

Wheelock instilled in me, at a very young age, the idea that social conventions could be bent and that theater was an art available to all. I credit my experiences at Wheelock with the later decision to pursue Acting as a profession.

After "Beauty and the Beast" I went on to do two more Wheelock shows, "Peter Pan" and "Seussical ". After that time, I moved to New York City to attend The New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts. I graduated in 2012 and went on to Tour with TheaterWorksUSA, which made me a proud member of AEA. I continued to do small works thought the New York area and currently produce and co-create a webseries called "The Under 5ers" (www.theunder5ers.com).

I am thrilled to return to Wheelock, especially with this production of "Alice". Beyond my history with Wheelock is a history with this show and its creator Andrew Barbato. Andrew and I have known each other for over 5 years, we actually appeared in "Peter Pan" and "Seussical" together at Wheelock. In 2008 I was asked to come to Andrew's house and sing "some stuff" he has written inspired by Alice in Wonderland. That summer a group of kids gathered in a basement and performed the first installment of "Alice".

Creating with that group of young artists is one of my fondest memories to date. I am grateful that Wheelock and Andrew have allowed me to take this journey once again, down the rabbit hole.
"Beauty and the Beast" at Wheelock Family Theatre 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wheelock Family Theatre always hopes to engage in a lively dialogue. All voices make up our varied and colorful family and free speech is a cherished right. While critical analysis is welcome, and indeed, anticipated; discriminatory or hateful language will not be tolerated.